Instructions for obtaining animal facility access:
- Submit medical evaluation form. Do this ASAP! The submission address can be found at the end of the form. Allow for 1-2 weeks. *Sign the form*
- PI must amend protocol to include a new lab member. Allow for 1-2 weeks for approval.
- Mandatory training
CITI Training – Click the link and register. (Additional Instructions) Allow for about 4 hours. Follow the Course Enrollment Dialogue, choose Lab Animal Research. *must be completed before beginning work on protocol.
You MUST complete:
- The “Working with the Syracuse University IACUC Course” is required if you plan to use laboratory animals in your work or plan to supervise such work. *This will show up as Investigators, Staff & Students on your completion report.
- The basic course for any species you work on your protocol
- +/- At Syracuse University I am involved in studies that have the potential to cause “more than momentary pain and distress” in mice or rats. This course describes post procedure methods to reduce pain and distress in rodents. *ASK YOUR PI- It is require for protocols that are USDA Category D or E.
- After approval of amendment, receiving an approved medical evaluation AND completing CITI, email email@example.com and request Orientation.
- Be sure to include: Trainee’s name, lab and email address
IACUC Training Documentation Form – Each lab member on the protocol must have a copy of this living document maintained in the lab. The AV, IACUC administrator, IACUC semi-annual inspectors and/or regulatory bodies (EX: USDA, State, Federal, AAALAC) may ask to see the documents to verify that training records are up-to-date.
1) Medical evaluation not submitted
2) Medical evaluation not sent to the correct location
*SU students send the form via Intercampus mail (orange mailboxes) to: Janelle Perry, Health Services, 111 Waverly Hall
*Non-SU Students (Faculty, Staff, Non-Student Research Assistants, Visiting Students) send the form to: Industrial Medical Associates, Attn: Tim Christman, 961 Canal Street, Syracuse, NY 13210.
3) Medical evaluation not signed