What is a Financial Conflict of Interest?
A Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) arises whenever the design, conduct, and reporting of research is compromised by, or could reasonably be perceived as being compromised by, a person’s financial interests. A financial interest is anything of monetary value, whether or not the value is readily ascertainable, that reasonably appears to be related to a person’s institutional responsibilities including their research. Please see the section on Significant Financial Interests for more information. A FCOI is based on the situation itself and in no way reflects on or speaks to the character of the individual in any way. Please see Syracuse University’s Policy on Conflict of Interest for additional information.
Who must disclose?
Any individual responsible for the design, conduct, or reporting of research, regardless of title or position, must complete a FCOI disclosure at least annually. Individuals meeting this definition may include faculty, staff, post doctoral fellows, graduate students, and/or others who assume independent responsibility for the design, conduct, or reporting of research.
When is disclosure required?
Significant financial conflicts of interest must be disclosed as follows:
- Prior to engaging in research
- Within 30 days of discovery or acquisition of a new Significant Financial Interest
- Ex. Start-up company is formed OR cumulative payments for past 12 months now exceed significant financial interest threshold of $5,000
- Annually during the Syracuse University annual disclosure process (even if acknowledging no change to previous disclosure)
Instructions for completing or updating a financial disclosure:
- Log into MySlice using your SUID and password
- In the Employee Services module, click on the orange box “Human Resources and Payroll Services”
- In the Employee Self Service module, click on the compass symbol in the top right corner
- In the compass navigation bar, click on the “Classic Home” link
- In the Classic Home module, click on “Significant Financial Interest”, then “SFI Process”, and finally “Enter SFI Disclosure”
- Follow the system prompts, answering all applicable questions
- Once completed, submit the disclosure
Need additional help completing the disclosure? Please see the Disclosure How To pdf for screen shots of the process.
Want to see the actual disclosure questions beforehand in order to prepare?
Additional questions or concerns? Please contact the Assistant Director of the Office of Research Integrity and Protections, Katie Barnett, at firstname.lastname@example.org.